Redeemer Presbyterian Church has been one of the model churches for functioning in a large city. Tim Keller has been famous for marrying the gospel to the city. Though he is retired from leading his church, this influence still stands. Several outlets vroke the story that Redeemer Presbyterian Church currently operates with a medical apartheid with regards to separate treatment for the vaccinated and the unvaccinated. The rules for attending Keller’s church last updated in July read:
We’re so glad you’re interested in worshiping with us in person! Redeemer East Side continues to revise and update in-person worship protocols based on the most recent federal and state guidelines, and in collaboration with our host Temple Israel. Here is our latest protocol implemented starting Beginning Sunday, July 11. We will continue to live stream on our YouTube channel.
- Individuals who are fully vaccinated (two weeks have elapsed since your final dose or single-shot dose) are welcome to sit on the main floor of the sanctuary without social distancing and masks will be optional. Pre-registration will be required, but no seat assignments will be made. Children under the age of 12 who are not yet vaccine eligible, and under the age of 16 who have not yet been able to be vaccinated, may accompany and be seated with a fully-vaccinated parent.
- Individuals who are not fully vaccinated or desire to continue to wear masks and socially distance are welcome to sit in the balcony where there is more space to accommodate social distancing.
- We will use a self-reporting honor system during the pre-registration process to indicate fully-vaccinated status.
- Hand sanitizer is available for use throughout the building.
- A cry room for young families is available on the 5th floor. In-person Children’s Ministry will relaunch starting with limited nursery and preschool classes on August 15, then all classes through 5th grade fully starting September 12.
- There will be a group going out for coffee hour after the service on select Sundays. See our calendar for dates and the Be Together page for other fellowship opportunities.
Regardless of vaccination status, one must register for their contact tracing lists in order to attend.
Redeemer Presbyterian Church NYC goes farther than almost any prominent megachurch in the United States with enforcing Branch Covidianism for in-person worship services. A lot of Branch Covidian Churches aren’t even back to in person worship, particularly Black churches. But most Branch Covidian churches simply enforce mask mandates and probably do not have the accommodations for segregation. But none of the largest churches in the country are so brazen as Redeemer Presbyterian Church. Most of them, even for monetary motivations, are mask optional.